Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tofu Cheesecake



Uh oh. I made this tofu cheesecake way back in March.. and I forgot which recipe I used. I am 60% sure I used the following recipe. And I am not sure which website I got it from.. I might've translated it from an Asian blog though. However, I tweaked it so much that I don't think it resembles the original anymore. So Here's my "original" tofu cheesecake recipe!

Tofu Cheesecake

-makes one 8" round

For the graham cracker crust:
17 graham crackers
5tbsp butter

1. Finely crush the crackers
2. Melt butter and mix with the graham crumbs
3. Put in mold and press firmly
4. Bake in oven at around 300F for 5 mins or until toasty (You can also skip this step and just put it in the fridge)

For the tofu cheese part:
80g cream cheese
130g whipping cream
220-225g silken tofu, drained (*the silkier the better!)
50g sugar
6g gelatin
50g/ 3tbsp cold water


^failed. At this stage, I think the mixture should be flow-y and lava like..

1. Beat cream to 60% firm (a frozen yogurt/ ice cream- like texture)
2. Mesh and beat tofu
3. Put gelatin in cold water. Mix and put on double boiler until gelatin is dissolved
4. Beat cream cheese with sugar
5. Add tofu 1/3 at a time into cream cheese/ sugar mixture
6. Add gelatin 1/3 at a time into tofu/ cream cheese mixture
7. Mix/ fold with cream
8. Pour into mold
9. Fridge for at least 6 hours before un- molding

This recipe attempt didn't work too well for me. My "cheesecake" turned out lumpy and tasted like a giant glob of whipped cream.. with a hint of soybean-yness and chunks of jello-y stuff! Important note to self: I need to take extra caution when I work with gelatin next time. My gelatin solidified before I incorporated it into the tofu/ cream cheese.. And I mindlessly beat it in the the cream cheese mixture thinking it will magically incorporated. Big no-no! Next time, I should keep the gelatin on the double boiler so it doesn't solidify too early.

Aside from the strange texture of the tofu cheesecake, I am pleasantly pleased with the crust I made. At first, I did try to convert the exact measurement I got from the website.. But I got lazy and just eyeballed everything. It turned out great. I think I ended up using less butter( : Slightly healthier?



Taste: 3.5 stars out of 5 (I didn't mind the whippped cream taste/texture too much)
Texture: 2.5 stars out of 5 (other than the chunks of jello in the cake, I think the texture was ok.. just some fluffy whipped cream)

I am determined to get this tofu cheesecake right next time! Keep an eye out( :

No comments:

Post a Comment