Coffee cake roll
makes one roll
10g instant coffee powder
60g cake flour
1. Line baking sheet and preheat oven at 350F.
2. Warm oil to 70C (158F).
3. Sift in cake flour and whisk to combine.
4. In a separate bowl, dissolve instant coffee powder in water. Whisk into oil/flour.
5. Whisk in yolk until combined and lump free.
6. In another bowl, beat whites while adding sugar in increments to medium peaks.
7. Fold whites to yolk mixture gradually.
8. Pour onto pan and spread evenly.
9. Tap gently to release any large air bubbles.
10. Bake at 330F for 10 minutes. Lower to 300F and continue to bake for 5 minutes.
11. Slide to rack to cool. Place a clean parchment paper over to prevent over drying.
12. Once is cool enough to touch, flip and peel off parchment paper.
13. Optional: trim off edges. On a short end, trim at a 45 degree angle. This will help with rolling/ sealing.
14. Spread a thin layer of cream. Roll and wrap to chill.
15. Chill for 1-2 hours before cutting.
Coffee kahlua cream:
25g powdered sugar
5g instant coffee powder
100g whipped cream
1 tsp kahlua
Beat ingredients together to firm peaks.
I love coffee flavored desserts! The aroma and bitterness of coffee complement and balance well with sweets.
The texture, flavor and sweetness are on point for this one. I added walnuts in the cream prior to rolling, and they added such a lovely crunchy texture and a nutty roasted flavor.
This is definitely a winning flavor combo - coffee, kahlua and walnuts!
Taste: 5 stars out of 5
Texture: 5 stars out of 5