Matcha (Green Tea) Chiffon Cake
recipe from Green Cilantro
makes one 18cm tube
40 g sugar
100 g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 tbsp matcha powder
50 ml vegetable oil (used corn oil instead)
75 ml water
40 g sugar
1. Sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. Manually whisk yolks, adding sugar in 3 additions. Whisk till sticky and pale.
3. Drizzle in oil while whisking until well combined. Repeat with water.
4. Add flour mixture and whisk until fully incorporated.
5. Sift in matcha powder and whisk well.
6. In separate bowl, beat whites with electric mixer until frothy and foamy. Gradually add in sugar and beat on high until stiff peaks.
7. Fold whites into yolks in 3 additions until just blended.
8. Pour batter into ungreased pan. Tap pan lightly and run skewer through batter.
9. Bake at 170C/ 338F for 45- 50 mins.
10. Remove from oven and invert the pan. Let cool before unmolding.
|cross section (:|
To my surprise, the cake came out sturdy- firm yet spongy and light. The flavor of green tea is subtle and sweetness level is just right. I would still try lessening the sugar to 60 g total next time. And to make it more birthday-y for my order, I would add layers of lightly sweetened whipped cream and probably cover/decorate the outside with cream. One thing I wish though was a taller rise. Noted that the egg whites weren't as stiff as I wanted when I was folding them in. Possibly that contributed to a small rise.
Taste: 4 stars out of 5Texture 4.5 tars out of 5