Long long long overdue.
I swear though.. I have been baking and spending a lot of time around food. (:
Whipped Cream Cupcakes
recipe adapted from Sea Salt with Food who originally adapted it from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes by Rose Levy Beranbaum
-makes 24 mini cupcakes + a mini tube cake & a mini loaf cake
(original recipe used a 10-cup fluted metal tube pan)
225 g (2 cups) cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt or 3/4 tsp sea salt
348 g (1 and 1/2 cups) cold heavy cream
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
201 g (1 cup) sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375˚F/190˚C. Coat a 10-cup fluted metal tube pan or whatever pan you are using* with baking spray and flour. Shake off the excess flour.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
3. Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk batter, whip the cream, starting on low speed, gradually raising the speed to medium-high as it thickens, until stiff peaks form.
4. In another bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla until just combined.
5. On medium-high speed, gradually beat the egg mixture into the whipped cream. The mixture will thicken into mayonnaise consistency. Gradually beat in the sugar. It should take about 30 seconds to incorporate it.
6. Then add half the flour mixture into the cream and, with a large spatula, stir and fold in the flour until most of it disappears. Add the rest of the flour and continue folding and mixing until all traces of flour have disappeared.
7. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Run a small metal spatula through the batter to prevent large air bubbles, avoiding the bottom of the pan. Smooth the surface evenly.
8. Bake the cake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted between the tube and the side comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. With a small metal spatula, loosen the top edges of the cake and invert the cake onto a wire rack that has been coated lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Cool completely. Lightly dust the cake with icing sugar, if desired.
I am happy to present to you... *drum roll* whipped cream cupcakes! These are delicious. Words cannot describe how much I liked these cakes. The ultimate humble looking cake that tastes oh-so wonderful! The sweetness is right on the mark and the texture is crusty on the outside and moist and crumbly soft on the inside. I highly recommend this recipe to those those who also love Sara Lee's Pound Cake. These remind me so much of them!
And personally, I much much much preferred them in mini cupcakes form over using the tube, loaf or fluted pans. I like how much crust the mini cupcakes have and ohmy.. they are the perfect bite size! You can eat one whole cupcake without making a ton of mess.
Taste: 5 stars out of 5
Texture 5 stars out of 5