Friday, July 29, 2011

Japanese Cheesecake



Japanese Cheesecake
recipe adapted and translated from Kelly's Palace
-makes one 6 inch round cake

100g cream cheese, room temperature
60g heavy cream
12g sugar
22g unsalted butter
15g cake flour, sifted
10g corn flour, sifted
2 yolk

2 white
22g sugar
1/4tsp cream of tartar

1. Put a pan filled with water in the oven and preheat to 350F. Line pan with parchment paper
2. Melt butter in microwave or double boiler
3. On slow, beat cream cheese till soft and creamy
4. Beat sugar to cream cheese in 2 batches till no bumps/ sugar dissolves
5. Beat in yolk
6. Beat in heavy cream in 3 batches
7. Add melted butter and beat till well mixed
8. Sift in cake and corn flour and fold with wooden spatula till no bumps
9. On high, beat egg white till no big air bubble
10. Add in cream of tartar and continue beating
11. Add sugar in 3 batches and beat till stiff
12. Mix 1/3 white to cream cheese/ four batter
13. Fold rest of the whites in lightly till no visible streaks
14. Pour into pan and gently tap pan on counter to get rid of large bubbles
15. Bake on hot water bath at 338F for 40 minutes.
16. Cool on wire rack and run knife around rims of pan to allow a even shrinking of the cake


^The cake was almost gone before I could snap a nicer picture of it!

Japanese cheesecakes are one of my favorite things to bake. They taste sso-ooo good no matter how bad you messed up the cooling or how ugly and wrinkly they came out looking. :p

The reason why I chose this particular Japanese cheesecake recipe is mainly because it makes a 6inch cake instead of the usual 8 or 9. (too lazy to convert the recipe I regularly use) I am in love with mini- anything. Mini cream puffs, mini eclairs& etc. And making mini's are perfect because I get to have a variety of different mini's instead of one big cheesecake that I have to finish before baking more. Hahaha.. not sure if that made any sense. But anyways, this cake was gone before my eyes. Actually that happens a lot with Japanese styled desserts. They are so light and fluffy that you won't feel like you ate at all.

Comparatively, this cheesecake turned out average. The taste and texture are nothing spectacular. However, I am disappointed with the looks. The top just could not brown. I am suspecting that something is wrong with my big oven. I would've gave it a more toasty look if I had put it in the small oven for a couple minutes extra. But then again, I was lazy and told myself that taste> look!


^light+creamy

Taste: 4 stars out of 5
Texture: 4 stars out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment