Banana Ogura Cake
makes one 8" square pan
recipe adapted from Jeannie Tay
5 yolk + 1 whole egg
60g corn oil
160 mashed banana
1/4 tsp salt
70g cake flour
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Whisk egg yolks, 1 whole egg and corn oil until frothy then add mashed banana and mix well.
2. Sift in flour and salt and mix again until well combined. Set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white, cream of tartar and castor sugar until firm peaks formed.
4. Mix 1/3 of meringue with yolk batter with a hand whisk.
5. Add another 1/3 portion and fold gently with the whisk.
6. Pour in remaining meringue. Fold gently using a spatula until no more streaks of meringue can be seen.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan and tap pan lightly to remove air bubbles.
8. Bake in a water bath for 70 minutes at 320F.
9. Remove from oven. Drop pan at a 4" height onto a table top. Unmould as soon as you can.
Taste: 4.5 stars out of 5
Subtle banana flavor and sweetness just right.
Texture: 5 stars out of 5
So light and fluffy yet moist.
Appearance: 4.5 stars out of 5
Smooth golden brown top. Would try baking this in a smaller pan to get a taller cake!