Thursday, January 13, 2011

CHOCOLATE MACARON SUCCESS



:D :D :D

THEY HAVE FEET!



SOME OF THEM DIDN'T CRACK



THEY LOOK SO GOOD!
They are delicious.

Macaron success on second try. Not bad right? ( :

I slightly altered the ingredient proportions from Lebovitz's recipe and followed the same steps. Unlike last time, my batter was actually lava-flow like.



60g egg white (from 2 eggs), at room temperature
40g sugar
110g powdered sugar
60g almond flour
12g cocoa


^forming hard shell

The macarons were still too sweet for my liking. I might try reducing the granulated sugar even more (or less?) to 30g next time. Not sure if that would change the whole chemistry behind the baking. But let's experiment. I can't wait to make some crazy flavor combinations once I master these chocolate macaron.

For the filling, I attempted at making the espresso ganache. Sadly, they didn't quite solidify. The taste was exceptionally good though. Creamy. Espresso-y. And perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness. Definitely need to give this recipe another try and be more careful at the simmering step!



I also did run into the problem of the macarons sticking onto the non- stick silpat. After ripping a few of them off for a quick taste test, I googled for some solutions. :P Turns out putting them back into the oven for another 5-10 minutes works magic!

HAPPY BAKING!

3 comments:

  1. congrats! looks delicious!

    have a great time,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, that's incredible! I really want to try making these! Because they're so expensive in the store. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. I had a few successful macaron experiences and some not so nice ones. My last batch of chocolate ones was a mess. :P Hop over to my site, I have the most delicious coffee buttercream recipe that's perfect for your chocolate macarons. I'm sure you'll love it because it's not too sweet and it's light, fluffy and smooth. Here's the link for your reference.
    http://utry.it/2010/09/opera-macarons.html

    ReplyDelete