Monday, December 20, 2010

Vanilla Cupcakes with Espresso Buttercream



My first cupcake with professional-y looking buttercream! This was a really last minute whipped up. With the leftover espresso buttercream I made for the macarons, I decided to make some cupcakes! I really love the new 1M pipping tip I got. It's by far the biggest tip I own and it's just the perfect size to pipe buttercream or frosting (which I usually don't do)! Piping is so much fun when the consistency of what you are working with is "stable"!! (so far, my pipping experience has not been too great :p)

These cupcakes came out pretty moist& dense! I took note of what Kwanster have said about their deceiving wet-looking top when they are done and took them out right at the 17 minute mark. The cupcakes had a good height and a tender moist texture. Although not as light or airy as I usually prefer my cupcakes to be, they are still some yummy cupcakes!

Taste: 3.5 stars out of 5
Texture: 3 stars out of 5

Good tip: If you are giving these cupcakes to elderly or diabetic relatives/friends, throw in a couple walnut or almonds before putting them in the oven! Skip the buttercream(:



Billy’s Vanilla Vanilla Cupcakes
-makes 30 cupcakes

1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Here's the halved recipe I followed to make my 12 cupcakes(:
(I converted most of the ingredients to grams for easy "halving")
112 grams cake flour
160 grams AP flour
201 grams sugar (I reduced mine to 150grams)
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1.6 grams salt
1 stick of butter
2 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, mixing until just coated with flour.

2. In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.

3. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about two-thirds full. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes.

4. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat process with remaining batter. Once cupcakes have cooled, use a small offset spatula to frost tops of each cupcake. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Serve at room temperature.



I think I will try out the vanilla cupcake recipe from Joy Of Baking next time!

COMING UP NEXT: SOMETHING WITH CREAM CHEESE! CheeseCupcake?

No comments:

Post a Comment