As covered California puts it, I am experiencing a life changing event (for the better). An unexpected layoff is really a blessing in disguise for me. I am hopeful and motivated to move forward to new opportunities. And in the meantime, I can really do more of what I love - baking!
One thing that will never change is my love for chiffon cakes. Their fluffy light texture is so dreamy, and matcha is the perfect subtle flavor to pair this cake with. I like my chiffon cakes cut into slices and eaten plain. They are perfect on their own with a cuppa.
recipe adaped from Just One Cookbook
makes one 7"chiffon
3 large egg yolks
85g sugar *reduced to 80g
3 Tbsp. (40 ml) vegetable oil
4 Tbsp. (60 ml) water
75g cake flour
1 heaping Tbsp. (about 10g) matcha powder
1 tsp. baking powder
3 large egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 340F (170C).
2. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and add ⅓ of the sugar. Then add oil and water and whisk all together till combined.
3. Sift cake flour, matcha, and baking powder together and add to the egg yolk mixture in 3 separate times. Whisk until totally incorporated and make sure there are no lumps.
4. Using a stand mixer, whip egg whites on medium low speed (speed 4) till opaque and foamy and bubbly.
5. Add ⅓ of the remaining sugar and continue whipping. After 30 seconds or so, increase speed and add the remaining sugar slowly in small increments until stiff peaks form.
6. Add ⅓ of the beaten egg whites into the flour mixture using spatula until the mixture is homogeneous.
7. Fold in the rest of the egg whites in 2-3 increments and mix gently but quickly until the mixture is homogeneous.
8. Pour mixture into the ungreased 17cm chiffon cake pan. Tap the pan a few times on the kitchen countertop to release the air bubbles.
9. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
If you enjoy chiffon cakes, also check out my previous post for Earl Grey Chiffon.
Taste: 5 stars out of 5
Perfect note of matcha and sweetness.
Texture: 5 stars out of 5
Light, fluffy, and moist.
Appearance: 5 stars out of 5
Even rise; good height.