I made pancakes count-able times from the box mixes, and this is probably the first time I am making them from scratch. Pancakes are one of those breakfast/brunch items that I don't normally order unless the place is well known for them, e.g, BLD's blueberry ricotta pancakes. I am never super drawn to them due to how simple they are to whip up (my experience has been with box mixes up to this point). Turns out they are as simple as I imagined even from scratch - few ingredients and only a couple steps!
These were so quick to put together and turned out oh so wonderfully fluffy and light! And being unsweetened pancakes, these went super well with a drizzle of maple syrup and the blueberry sauce I threw together on a whim.
Great use of any left over ricotta, perfect for a weekend brunch, and versatile for any add ins to change up the flavor! This recipe is a keeper.
recipe adapted from Nigella
makes about 16 pancakes
250g ricotta cheese
2 large eggs, separated
100g all purpose flour
1tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
coconut oil for frying
2. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt and gently whisk to make a smooth batter.
3. Beat egg whites until foamy. Fold into ricotta mixture.
4. Heat oil in large frying pan and drop in heaped dessertspoons of batter.
5. Cook pancakes for about 1 minute on each side until golden.
6. Keep cooked pancakes warm, by tenting with foil on a large warmed plate, while you work your way through the batter.
Blueberry Sauce1cup frozen not thawed blueberries
1/4cup honey, to taste
freshly grated lime zest from 1 lime
1tbsp lime juice
1. Stir blueberries, honey, lime zest and juice in a medium saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
4. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
I think I should set a goal to tackle a brunch item every
October - ricotta pancakes. Check.
Taste: 4 stars out of 5
A bit of sugar in the batter would make them great to eat alone.
Texture: 4 stars out of 5
Light and fluffy. These pancakes are a dream.
|Ricotta pancakes for Saturday.|
Acai bowl for Sunday.