Thursday, June 3, 2010

Another 100%



100% DENSE and FUDGY. No jokes.. These are by far the richest chocolate cookies I ever had. What makes these extraordinary is the melt-in-your-mouth quality! The outside of these cookies is slightly crunchy and the inside is just soft, moist and fluffy-- the ideal way a cookie should be. I give this 5 stars out of 5!

So----o, I had exactly 3 egg whites left from making the custard filling of the custard tart the other day. And the first thing that came to my mind was meringue! I remembered running into those meringue recipes and going like "What am I going to do with all the yolks if I am just using the whites?" Ah, now is the perfect time to look them up again! I went through a couple meringue kisses/cookies recipe for quite some time before I finalized on this one. I picked this chocolate meringue cookies simply because of its short baking time (only 10 minutes!) &also because they reminded me so much of the chocolate crinkles cookies that I attempted and failed at last Christmas.



Chocolate Meringue Cookies
recipe adapted from one cake two cake
-makes 20 huge cookies

1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (about 9 ounces), divided
3 large egg whites, room temperature
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided in half
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Grease or line 2 large baking sheets.
Gently melt 1 cup of chocolate chips in glass bowl in microwave, stirring twice, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly.

Using electric mixer, beat whites in large bowl to soft peaks.
Gradually beat in 3/4 cup sugar.
Continue beating until mixture resembles soft marshmallow creme.
Whisk 3/4 cup sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl.
On low speed, beat dry ingredients into meringue. (Beware of a cocoa dust cloud forming in your kitchen!)
Stir in lukewarm chocolate and remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips

With an ice cream scoop or spoon, place 1 tablespoonfuls of chocolate meringue on prepared sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
Bake for 10 minutes or until puffed.
Cool on sheets for 5 minutes.
Transfer to rack.
Cool.

**I left my egg whites in the fridge for 2 days before using them. Don't know if that made a difference or not.



Taste-wise and Look-wise, these cookies are wonderful. I especially love how these cookies came out looking. The cracks and swirls on the top are .. beautiful♥ Ugh, my photos don't do them justice. I need to bake these again and have my friend take some sharp photos with the dslr. Anyways, these cookies take less than 15 minutes to whip up and just 10 minutes to bake. A quick on-the-go recipe, yeah?(: Must- try if you have egg whites left over or craving something chocolate-y.

12 comments:

  1. i just took my first final, and i m extremely hungry! looking at this made me drool :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound fabulous! I love melt in your mouth type cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm trying these out for the first time and the thick consistency of the batter is rather alarming! I can hardly whisk through it. Could it be that I've added too much chocolate? I used 1.5 cups of small chocolate chips....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon,

      As I remembered, the consistency of the batter should not be thick. The batter should be "flowy".. "scoop-able" and spread out slightly in the oven. How'd your cookies turn out? The recipe called for 1.5 cups/ 9 oz of chocolate chip, so I don't think you added too much.

      -Eva

      Delete
    2. I just checked the original recipe. And I totally missed the part where you should only melt 1 cup of chocolate chip and the rest 1/2 cup should just be stirred into the batter as chocolate chip. Sorry for the mistake!

      -Eva

      Delete
    3. I'm wondering if 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips = more chocolate, because I'm thinking of the air space that would be between the regular sized chips in a measuring cup between regular chips vs. the density of the tightly packed small chips?

      Delete
    4. I have been trying to copy the recipe, but a large white block is covering part of the recipe. I have highlighted it and pasted it in Word. Any suggestions.

      Linda D.

      Delete
    5. Hi Linda,

      I don't know why you can't copy it. I see it fine on my computer. I can email the recipe to you if you want.

      Delete
  4. Your pictures are quite good. Camera or not, they are well composed, properly exposed and look absolutely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were PERFECT. I have tried other recipes, all disasters. These are delicious and easy, and again, PERFECT. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am going to try today as I have 4 egg whites left over from custard! And I can't find my other recipe - one thought from having made these in the past - a sunny dry day is better than a damp cloudy one for making these as they tend to come out better.

    ReplyDelete