Monday, November 4, 2013

Chocolate Chiffon Cake

Got extra whipped cream? 
Solution: bake a cake
layer it with cream
.. and NUTELLA
Why not?
(:





Trying a new chocolate chiffon cake recipe this time. Need to get back to a rhythm(?) before I start tweaking and playing around with recipes. After baking a good number of chiffon cakes, I feel like the recipes are more or less the same. Mixing the yolk and flour, folding in the whites. Is there like a template for a basic chiffon cake? Then for different flavor chiffons, just switch out cocoa powder for matcha powder or espresso powder. That'd be very convenient. Probably not that simple I am guessing. Maybe need to take into account of moisture, density.. and the unknown. Definitely one of my biggest baking goals to figure this out because I really love these light and fluffy cakes<3 p="">

For now, I will get more recipes in my archive and then test and experiment.. etc etc. My ideal recipe is one with the least amount and least variety of ingredients. If I can make the same size cake with 3 eggs.. why use 7. This recipe calls for 4 eggs total only which is acceptable. However, what almost turned me away from using it was the left over yolk! Now I need to find a recipe to make good use of that one extra yolk. Motivation to bake more?


Chocolate Chiffon Cake 
recipe adapted from Cakelets and Doilies
makes one 17cm tube cake

65 g cake flour
20 g cocoa powder
*substitited 5 g cocoa powder with instant espresso powder
1/2 tsp baking powder

3 yolks
35 g sugar
50 ml vegetable oil
90 ml milk, room temperature

4 whites
40 g sugar
5 g corn flour

1. Sift together cake flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Set aside.
2. Whisk yolks and 35 g sugar until pale and creamy.
3. Drizzle oil in yolk and whisk to incorporate. Repeat with milk.
4. Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
5. Combine 40 g sugar and corn flour.
6. Whisk whites until foamy. Add half of sugar/ corn flour mixture and beat.
7. Add remaining sugar/ corn flour mixture and beat until glossy and stiff peaks form.
8. Add one third of white into yolk/ flour mixture and fold lightly with spatula.
9. Add remaining and fold to incorporate completely.
10. Pour into pan and lightly tap on bench to get rid of large bubbles.
*I also like to run a skewer through the batter a couple rounds to even out the batter!
11. Bake at 170C/ 338F for 40- 50 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and invert the pan. Let cool before unmolding.




Cake smelled ahhh-ma-zing when I popped open that oven door at the 40 minute mark. I think I need to make chiffon cupcakes next time. Then maybe I can skip that cooling part and just inhale them fresh from the oven. Hehe!










Cake was actually pretty firm/dense. Great for >1 layers. My one layer didn't held up well. It was hard to eat without the two layers falling apart. Ratio of cream to cake should be higher.



Taste: 4 stars out of 5
-chocolately and not too sweet
Texture: 3.5 stars out of 5
-a bit dry, need more cream



No comments:

Post a Comment