Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Coffee Almond Cookies
Shortbread- like. Slight Crunch. Crumbly. Cookies-licious.
Two months ago, my mom bought home a bag of these chocolate almond cookies (handmade by her boss). Two months + 1 day ago, they disappeared (into my mouth)! Hehe. I love these cookies! They have such a reminiscing texture?
It actually took me some time to find a recipe with a picture that exactly resembles what I had. I actually found NOT ONE but TWO versions of these cookies! Coffee and chocolate! Mmm, do I really have to pick one?!
Ok. Coffee for now. But I will definitely be trying the chocolate one soon( :
Oh and recently, I also noticed many of the Asian bakeries around my neighborhood also sell them! a bag of say.. 10 cookies for 4 bucks! :X Uh-uh no. I will be making my own definitely. They are just as good as they can get :p
Coffee Almond Cookies
recipe from Bitter Sweet Flavours
200g salted butter
185g castor sugar* (I used 140g)
2 tsp instant coffee powder* (I used 3 tsp)
1 tsp water (I used 1 tbsp)
350g plain flour
200g almond flakes* (I used 85g)
1) Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Stir in egg, mix well.
2) Dissolve coffee powder in hot water, add into butter mixture, beat till combined.
3) Sift in flour then mix in almond flakes until it forms a dough.
4) Place cling wrap over a 7 x 7 inch square pan, overflowing at the sides.
5) Drop cookie dough onto the pan with cling wrap. Spread evenly with hands/spatula.
6) Wrap cookie dough up. Using a rolling pin, roll on the top of the dough until it is even.
7) Chill the cookie dough overnight, or freeze for 2 hours.
8) Slice the dough into logs and chop into 3mm thickness.
9) Lay cookie dough onto baking sheets leaving spaces in between.
10) Bake in preheated oven at 175C for 18-20mins or until golden brown.
11) Stand cookies on the pan for 2-3mins, then let to cool completely on a wire rack before storing.
*I cut down on the almond flakes.. don't recommend! The amount of almonds in the recipe should be a well- balanced proportion.
-Taste: 3.5 stars out of 5
A little too sweet and lacking the toasty almond-ness. Can be easily fixed if I put the indicated amount of almonds.
-Texture: 4 stars out of 5
Some had the perfect texture (crunchy exterior and crumbly/ melt- in- your- mouth interior); a lot were actually under- baked and didn't brown nicely. Next time, I need to do them in 2 or 3 batches instead of placing them on multiple racks at once :X And I think I would prefer the cookies a little thinner than I had cut them. Maybe 1/4 inch thick next time.
All in all, a yummy and fun recipe! And also for the record, my first successful log cookie<3
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, I love shortbread so I think shortbread combined with coffee could only be a perfect combo! :)ReplyDelete
Congrats on your first log cookie. They look totally terrific and sound delish! I hope you'll come by and link them up to Sweets for a Saturday #10. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.htmlReplyDelete
These cookies look delish! I love coffee flavor in just about anythingReplyDelete