Saturday, July 17, 2010

Castella (Japanese Sponge Cake)

I have always been fond of light and airy cakes. So I decided to give this Castella a try after reading numerous blog posts about it.



Castella
recipe adapted from My Kitchen Snippets
5 large eggs
180 grams granulated sugar
200 grams flour (I used bread flour)
100 ml whole milk
4 tablespoons honey
6 tablespoons vegetable oil

1. Prepared a square 8 x 8” square baking pan. (I used a 9" spring-form round pan) Line the bottom with parchment paper and grease it well. Preheat oven to 350F and place a rack in the middle of the oven.
2. In a mixer whip eggs and sugar on high speed for 5 minutes or until batter forms a ribbon when the wire whip is lifted, the color should be light yellow.
3. Turn down the mixer to medium speed; slowly pour the flour mixture into the batter. Next add honey to milk and slightly heat till honey is well mixed in the milk. Then, add it to the batter. Last, add the oil and make sure it is incorporated into the batter thoroughly!
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place it in the oven and bake for 10 minutes in 350F. After that, lower the temperature to 325F and bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. (The cake should be nicely browned when it's done)
5. Remove from the pan as soon as it is done. Place it on the cooling rack and let it cool completely. Wrap with plastic wrap overnight before cutting.



The result was not as fluffy as I expected. ): It was rather dense. The honey flavor is prominent and it sort of resembles the dorayaki pancakes I made before. I believe the taste is right but the texture is not quite like a real Castella. The crust was my favorite part of this cake. It's not crunchy.. it just has a nice toasty honey taste! For next time, I shall whip the eggs for a longer period of time and pay extra attention in incorporating the flour/milk/honey/oil into the batter. Note: my cake also sank during the cooling process. undercooked? mmmhm..


^remember to wrap the cake to keep it from drying up. you may also store it in the fridge and serve cold!(:

No comments:

Post a Comment