Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Blueberry Scones

Best scones I ever made.

Period.


Buttery. Crisp. Flaky. Moist. Fluffy. Light.

These are kind of like the best thing ever.


I can totally picture these selling at my favorite local bakery- Lincoln!

Blueberry Scones
recipe adapted from Treats
makes about 8 scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup blueberries (optional: placed in the freezer for 30 minutes)
6 Tbsp (85g) cold unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 large egg
3 Tbsp heavy cream
2 Tbsp demerara sugar
Optional: sift dry ingredients.
After butter is incorporated, mixture should be crumbly.
Toss and coat blueberries in flour.
Mix wet into dry until dough comes together.
The mess I made..
Brush with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. In a large bowl,  combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Incorporate cold butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender, two forks, or with your fingers. You should have some pieces that are the size of peas and some that look like fine crumbs.
4. Add blueberries and toss to coat in flour.
5. In another bowl, whisk together heavy cream and egg until well combined.
6. Add cream and egg to flour mixture and lightly stir with a fork or spoon until liquid is absorbed and a dough comes together. Alternatively, knead by hand until dough comes together. Do not overwork dough.
7. Place dough on a well floured surface and pat to about 1" thickness. Cut in to circles using a 2 1/2" round cutter or cut into 8 even sized wedges. *I halved my dough, pat them into round, and cut 4 wedges are of each. Dough was sticky.
8. Place them on a lined baking sheet, brush with heavy cream, and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
9. Bake for about 16-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Levain cookie size.
An excel spreadsheet was made for "Project Scones". I did an ingredient comparison with my previous recipes and a couple promising recipes I came across, and turns out the formulas are actually all quite similar. I decided to go with one that sort of fell in the middle of my previous Mango Coconut Scones and Walnut Cacao Nibs Scones. This median was perfection.

Just look at how much love is in Abu's eyes.

Can I have some scones please?
Sniff. Sniff.
Fatty: "Nah, it's mine!"
I almost thought these weren't coming together when the wet and dry mixture weren't incorporating evenly and the dough got super sticky to handle. I kneaded it briefly to bring the dry pieces together and went ahead to bake them.

These are a dream.
And possibly the best thing I made.

Tempting Abu again.
Bursting blueberry shot.
Taste: 10 stars out of 5
Lightly sweetened and butterlicious!
Texture: 10 stars out of 5
Crisp and flaky exterior. Moist, fluffy and light interior. Studded with juicy tart blueberries.


No comments:

Post a Comment