Monday, April 16, 2012

Toasted Coconut and Chocolate Chip Biscotti



Came across a simple basic biscotti recipe. I decided to give it a try since I have been fully committed my past biscotti baking to one recipe. Maybe I can find a recipe that tops that old. But mmhm, not quite yet!

I love how simple biscotti is (minus the waiting time after the first bake). You can throw in any nuts, fruits.. etc and make it something totally new and delicious. I decided to add in toasted shredded coconut in one log and chocolate chips in the other. And for the chocolate chip biscottis, I also dipped them in chocolate to make them fancier. Hehe.

I usually like to cut biscotti recipe in half so I work with only one log. But this time.. since the recipe calls for 3 eggs, it would be too much of a hassle to have 1/2 an egg left.



Basic Biscotti
recipe from delicious inspiration
- makes 2 logs

3 1/4 cups (405g) all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup oil
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar (I cut down to 100g)
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine the oil, granulated sugar, eggs and extract.
4. Pour the liquid mixture (3) into the flour (2) and mix well, forming a stiff dough. (Stir the nuts or fruits at this point)
5. Divide the dough in half, then form the halves into logs as long as the baking sheet (about 12") and flatten slightly.
6. Bake the logs until golden brown and firm, 25 to 30 minutes.
7. Let the logs cool slightly, about a half hour.
8. Cut the logs into 1/4" slices and arrange them on the baking sheets and bake again for 10 minutes, flipping the slices halfway through, until they're golden brown around the edges.
9. Let cool completely, then store in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.



Compare to the recipe I have been using, this recipe makes more crumbly and soft biscottis. I personally prefer biscottis that are more hard/crunchy but bit-able (old recipe).

These were almost like a soft cookie. The biscotti also turned out on the thick/fat side. This might have been the reason for it to retain more moisture after the two bake times (kind of under- baked). Shaping the logs thinner/longer or baking them for a longer period would maybe change the texture of the biscottis.

I didn't mind the softer biscottis, and if you love softer biscottis.. this recipe is totally for you! I will stay with my old recipe for now.

Taste: 4 stars out of 5 (cutting the sugar half gave it the sweetness I want)
Texture: 3 stars out of 5 (crumbly and softer than old recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment