Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Quiche Lorraine



Broccoli, mushrooms, ham, seafood, spinach.. There are so many kinds of quiche. And they all sound so yummmmy(:

I have been wanting to try quiche for a long long time. A flaky tart crust, a fluffy egg center. What is there not to love? I initially planned on having my first quiche during a Sunday brunch at a nice little cafe I have found. On their menu, they had two kinds of quiche, veggie and seafood. Unfortunately, they ran out of BOTH that morning.

Sad as I was, I went online to search for quiche recipes once I got home that evening! It didn't seem too hard. And it was a good idea since I can be picky about the fillings and have only what I like in it. Actually, I like a lot of things.. It was hard for me to decide on bacon/ham and cheese. But I thought I would start things off basic and traditional! Next time, I would definitely go more adventurous and not too greedy about the filling. I poured a little too much in the tart and it spilled over and under the tart as it bubbles and cooks.

Quiche Lorraine
recipe translated from Dessert & Baking DIY
- makes one 6" tart & three mini tarts

Crust
50g unsalted butter, cold and cubed
100g AP flour, sifted
1/8tsp salt
1 yolk
20g ice water

1. Combine flour and salt in bowl. Rub butter into the flour/salt with fingertip until it has a sandy texture.
2. Make space in the center of the flour/salt/butter mixture. Pour yolk and water in. Mix with spatula.
3. Form dough into a ball shape. Wrap with saran wrap and fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Place dough in between two saran wraps. Slowly roll dough out 2-3mm thick
5. Place on tart mold. Use knuckles to push in edges. Cut off excess.
6. Poke holes across dough with folk.
7. Bake at a 400F preheated oven for 15 minutes.



Filling
2 eggs
20g shredded cheddar cheese
70g bacon, diced
70g whipped cream
salt and pepper to taste

1. Fry bacon.
2. Hand whisk egg (keep tip of whisk touching bottom of bowl --> reduces air)
3. Add cream, salt and pepper to egg. Whisk.

4. Assemble everything like so.



- Place bacon, then cheddar cheese and strained egg/cream mixture on top of tart.

5. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Remove mold.
7. Serve (:



Taste: 3.5 stars out of 5 (can use a little more seasoning and definitely elevated with a more refreshing filling; i find the ham and cheese combination a little on the heavy side)
Texture: 4 stars out of 5 (tart is flaky and nice, egg mixture can be a little fluffier but is as good as it can get on a first try)

No comments:

Post a Comment