Thursday, February 17, 2011

Nigella's Mini Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins



MIA! To whoever keeps up with my blog, I sincerely apologize for the lack of updates lately. :P I've been drowned with the never ending midterms and thinking about the future .. in general. (I AM GRADUATING IN A YEAR :O!!)

Honestly, I don't even spend much time on school stuff. Where does all my time go? ):

Blahh. BUTTT it's fortunate that I somehow always managed to squeeze some baking in my life! I am 8- 10 posts behind as of now. Keeping it short, here we go with my post that should've been up since the beginning of LAST month.



Nigella's Mini Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
recipe from foodnetwork
-makes 24 mini muffins

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons best quality cocoa powder
3/4 cup superfine sugar
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling*
1 cup milk
1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips into a large bowl.
3. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, remembering that a lumpy batter makes the best muffins.
4. Spoon into the prepared muffin cases.
5. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy.

*Note:
- Substituted AP flour with whole wheat flour
- Substituted semisweet chocolate chip with chunks of Wonka Chocolate Waterfall



Taste: 3 stars out of 5
The whole wheat gave it a strange taste.. A taste that I am not too fond of. I will probably stick with the AP flour next time. The sweeter Wonka chocolate helped to hide the wheat-y flavor a little. The chunks of chocolate I put were also on the bigger size, which I like. With every bite, your teeth would sink into the goodness of these chocolates(:

Texture: 3.5 stars out of 5
The texture was not too dry or too moist. In fact, it was a little crumbly. Sort of typical muffin texture I would say. The best part was the crunchy top/ outer layer when they are fresh from the oven!


Coming up: lemon poppy seed muffins (second attempt)

2 comments:

  1. It must be exciting to have only a year left. I know what that feels like. Keep up the good work. Baking is definitely a good way to keep the stress level down. I hope you'll come by and link them up to Sweets for a Saturday #5. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this, yummm! nigella is always great. thanks for sharing!! glad to have found your blog!
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete