Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Blueberry Crumb Cake/Pie



Blueberry Crumb Cake
recipe from FoodNetwork.com
-make one 9" round pan or one 6" and one 7" tart pan plus some extra

For the streusel:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

For the cake:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (3/4 stick)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2/3 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup fresh blueberries
Confectioners' sugar for sprinkling

- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch round baking pan.
For the streusel:
- Combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in the melted butter and then the flour. Mix well and set aside.
For the cake:
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Reduce the speed to low and add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla, lemon zest, and sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Fold in the blueberries and stir with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out with a knife. With your fingers,
- Crumble the topping evenly over the batter. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely and serve sprinkled with confectioners' sugar.



NomNomNom. First time baking fruits. Dried fruits to be exact. I hated disliked baking fresh fruits. I just think it's gross to have fresh fruits warm. Is that too weird? But anyways, I stepped out of my bubble this time and picked this recipe that incorporates blueberries. I used dried blueberries instead since I had them at hand. And to my BIGGG SURPRISE, it turned out great. The blueberries added a slight sourness that balances the sweet moist cake! Love.



I baked this out of tart tins instead just because I wanted to use my new tart tins. Hehe. They were great. Minus the fact that I was frugal with every last bit of batter and streusel. I overflowed the tins.. The cake rose a little and the streusel was falling everywhere in the oven. Mess. ):



Nonetheless, the taste of this cake/pie is excellent. I thought it was a tab bit sweet at first but nah. It was so perfect with the blueberries. I love the streusel the most. The crunchiness of the streusel and the moistness of the cake.. Mhmm<3 The cake part was slightly chewy (maybe due to sour cream?).

Overall, I am pretty satisfy with my first attempt at baking with dried fruits. Btw, this is also my first time using nutmeg! I like the little extra spicy aroma it adds to the streusel!

**Side note:My cousins loved this cake as well! They ended up taking one whole pie home after trying a few slices.(:
&& Note to self: crumble the streusel finer for easy cutting next time!

3 comments: