Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Matcha Tofu Mousse Cake


No bake.
Serve chilled.
Asian flavor.
Healthy-ish (with tofu).


This was a tasty birthday cake for my brother's 28th last week. It was well received by the most harsh critics aka family. The sweetness was just right for my diabetic mom, and the matcha flavor was present without being bitter or unpleasant for my matcha- sensitive dad.

Exactly 7 years ago, on my brother's 21st, was when I attempted my first ever mousse cake. It was a matcha red bean mousse (see picture below)! How ambitious was I to make two flavors for my first cake? From what I remembered, the cake tasted decent. Maybe a bit sweet and a bit thin.. but hey! It was my first cake. It's amazing to see how far I've come in this baking journey.


Matcha Tofu Mousse Cake
recipe adapted from My Vitasoy
makes one 6" or 8" cake

Crust:
80g graham cracker crust
40g unsalted butter, melted
Matcha Mousse:
1/3 cup silken tofu, pureed
2 Tbsp matcha powder
1/4 cup soymilk
4 Tbsp (84g) honey
1 Tbsp gelatin
2 yolks
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp sugar
matcha powder, to dust on top

crust: added some grounded pecans to make up 80g
puree the tofu
super smooth tofu!
mix tofu with matcha powder

wait till matcha mixture is cooled before folding in cream!
pour into pan
and smooth top!
1. Mix together graham cracker crust and melted butter. Press down evenly on the bottom of a 6" lined pan. Set aside in freezer or optional- bake crust at 325F for 8-10 mins until lightly toasted and fragrant.
2. In small saucepan, bring soymilk and honey to a boil. Turn heat down to medium, add gelatin and stir till dissolved.
3. In bowl with yolks, whisk in a little bit of the hot liquid to temper. Pour egg mixture back into soymilk and cook on medium heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Strain into a bowl. Set aside to cool.
4. Whisk together pureed tofu and matcha powder until lump free.
5. Whisk tofu mixture with egg mixture until smooth. Set aside.
6. Whisk together heavy cream and sugar on high until stiff peaks.
7. Gently fold whipped cream into matcha mixture.
8. Pour mixture on top of prepared crust. Smooth top with spatula and lightly tap pan on table to make sure there are no gaps on the edges.
9. Refrigerate for 4-5 hours or until mousse sets.

after chilling
nice smooth edges!

This cake will become one of my staples for sure. Note to self: remember to wait till matcha mixture is cooled before folding in the cream. My cake could've been fluffier.. maybe. 

Taste: 5 stars out of 5
Prominent matcha flavor; sweetness just right. Maybe add a pinch of salt to crust next time!
Texture: 5 stars out of 5
Light, fluffy, and smooth mousse; crust could be more crisp.


No comments:

Post a Comment