This Quinoa Kale Quiche is a great start to my 2016's baking resolutions-
bake savory items and incorporate healthy ingredients
This quiche is both crustless (read: less carbs) and does not use any heavy cream in the filling (read: less fat)! Reigning as one of the healthiest foods of all time, quinoa boosts the nutritional quality as well as gives the quiche a nice fluffy soft texture. There's kale in here too!
Excellent savoriness for breakfast, afternoon tea, side dishes or even as a star alongside a refreshing salad! Delicious hot or at warm temperature.
Quinoa Kale Crustless Quiche
recipe adapted from Food52
makes one 9" round
1/2 cup quinoa*1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
2 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch kale (3.5cup//235g) stems removed and cut into ribbons
1 vidalia onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
3 oz cream cheese, cubed
salt and pepper to taste*
optional: garlic powder, cayenne pepper
|Cook quinoa according to package instructions.|
|Let cool after cooked.|
|Saute/ caramelize onions.|
|Stir everything together.|
|Whisk eggs on the side and add them in as well.|
|Ready to bake.|
|Bake until golden brown!|
1. PREP: Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9" pie dish.
2. QUINOA: Combine quinoa and water in pan. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat and then reduce to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes until all the water has been absorbed. Set aside to cool.
3. ONIONS: Meanwhile, start to caramelize onions. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan on medium heat. When oil is shimmering, add onions. Slowly cook until onions are soft and browned. Remove onions from pan, and place them in a large mixing bowl.
4. KALE: Add kale into hot pan. On medium heat, cook until kale is wilted and bright green, about two minutes. Allow to cool. Squeeze out any extra liquid using a sieve or a clean dish towel.
5. COMBINE: Add kale, quinoa, garlic, cream cheese and cheddar to the mixing bowl with onions. Stir together until evenly distributed.
6. EGGS: In a small bowl, whisk eggs until well combined. Pour over quinoa/kale mixture. Stir until eggs cling to greens.
7. SEASONINGS: Add salt and pepper. (and optional seasoning)
8: BAKE: Pour mixture in prepared pie dish. Bake for about 45 minutes until top is golden and the pie has started to pull away from the edge of the baking dish.
Taste: 5 stars out of 5
Perfectttttttttto! Savory. Cheesy. Garlicky.
Texture: 5 stars out of 5
Perfectttttttttto! Fluffy but firm enough for clean slices.
(See my last quiche post here. Note big improvements!)