Blueberry Crumble Cake for my birthday..
and now this yummy Tiramisu for my mom's birthday!
No more resorting to the safe (but delicious) route to make chiffon or asian sponge cakes with cream, and just in time to check this no bake tiramisu off my to bake list before 2015 comes to an end. I definitely want to tackle a mousse or some stunning looking naked cakes for the next big occasion. Stay tuned in 2016!
recipe adapted from Inspired Taste
makes 2- 6" round (7 slices per 6") or 1 9" square
1/2 cup (120 ml) brewed espresso or very strong coffee, room temperature*
*1 Tbsp instant coffee powder dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup (60 ml) kahlua, divided
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large egg yolks
1/8 cup (25 g) sugar
8 oz (225 g) mascarpone cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup (175 ml) heavy cream
18 to 20 (1-7 oz package) Savoiardi Italian ladyfingers
cocoa powder for dusting
|Ingredients for Tiramisu.|
1. Combine espresso (or coffee), 2 Tbsp Kahlua, vanilla extract in a wide, small bowl. Set aside.
1. On medium speed, beat egg yolks, 2 Tbsp Kahlua, and sugar in a bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water until tripled in volume, 5 to 8 minutes.
2. Remove bowl from heat then beat in mascarpone cheese until just combined.
3. Whip heavy cream in a bowl until it holds stiff peaks.
4. Once yolk-mascarpone mixture has cooled a little, gently fold in half of the whipped cream into the yolk-mascarpone mixture, then the remaining half just until fully incorporated.
|Beat yolks, kahlua and sugar until slightly thickened and tripled in volume.|
|Recipe calls for exactly one 8oz tub of mascarpone.|
|Beat mascarpone with yolk mixture until just combined.|
|Left: stiff whipped cream, Right: mascarpone + yolk mixture|
|Gently fold cream half at a time into mascarpone/yolk.|
1. Cut ladyfingers in half or to desired height and line around sides of pan.
2. Dip ladyfingers very quickly into coffee and arrange in bottom of pan.
3. Evenly spread half of mascarpone filling over ladyfingers.
4. Repeat for second layer.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours. *I left mine set overnight.
6. Dust with cocoa powder and leave out at room temperature for about 20 minutes before serving.
*Tiramisu can be chilled up to 2 days, but no longer or else the ladyfingers will break down too much.
|Arrange ladyfingers around sides of pan.|
|1st layer: soak ladyfingers in coffee mixture and arrange on bottom of pan. |
Evenly spread mascarpone filling on top.
|2nd layer: repeat.|
|Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight.|
|Dust with cocoa powder.|
|&now, birthday sign and candle!|
|Happy Birthday Mama!|
|Cheers to another year..|
|and a yummy slice of tiramisu!|
Taste: 4.5 stars out of 5
Good as is. Would try espresso or stronger coffee for a more prominent flavor next time.
Texture: 5 stars out of 5
Rich and decadent cream with just moistened ladyfingers!
Appearance: 5 stars out of 5