Friday, October 23, 2015

The Ultimate Banana Bread [with crack on top]


Banana Bread achievement unlocked: golden brown crust with the crack on top!

I love love love love how brown and toasty this bread came out. To intentionally achieve the crack I've been wanting, I made a slit on the bread 24 mins into the bake time. The bread turned out beautiful and the texture was on point! It's quite a wholesome loaf with 4 bananas and 3 eggs going into it. 



The Ultimate Banana Bread
recipe adapted from Entertaining with Beth
makes 1 9x5" loaf

300g flour
70g sugar
1/4tsp sea salt
2tsp baking soda
4 overly ripe bananas, mashed
3 eggs
3/4cup (180ml) vegetable oil
1/4cup (60ml) water
1tbsp (15ml) vanilla
50g walnuts
50g chocolate chips*
(*I used 38g chocolate chips + 12g cacao nibs)


Got ripe bananas? Make banana bread!
Wet + dry mixture.
Fold in any toppings you want.
One big loaf!
1. Preheat oven to 350F (176C) degrees. 
2. Grease and flour a 9” x 5" loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
3. In a medium bowl mix dry ingredients and set aside. 
4. In a large bowl mix wet ingredients until combined. 
5. Combine the dry into the wet, 1/3 at a time, being careful not to over mix! 
6. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts. 
7. Pour into pan and bake for 55 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
*If bread starts to brown too much on the top, cover with foil and continue to bake until cooked through.



Slice into thick slices and serve. Enjoy! 


The smell of this bread couldn't be any more wonderful. I couldn't help but stand by the oven door anticipating the moment I can put my nose right up to the bread. Allowing it to cool for the longest 10 mins of my life, I finally cut my first slice. The bread was firm, but oh so moist and fluffy! Woohoo. Unlike previous banana breads I've made, this one has the best texture yet - toasty crust, moist and fluffy inside. 

The original recipe calls for 100g, and I reduced mine to 70g. The sweetness was just right with each bite bringing more of the banana's natural sweetness out. Mom approved!


Should I experiment with whole wheat flour and coconut oil next time? I am scared to deviate from this already perfected recipe. 


Taste: 5 stars out of 5

Perfect sweetness. Delicious banana flavor. 
Texture: 5 stars out of 5
Toasty crust, soft and fluffy interior, with nutty and melty chocolate bits!



Update: this bread stayed soft for days and good both chilled and lightly toasted. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi. My banana bread overcooks from the bottom quickly and burns a little upto around 4inches from the bottom whereas the top remains light in color and also dont crack as beautifully. Need help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hasan,
    Are you placing the pan in the center rack of your oven? If you are, then it sounds like maybe your oven is heating up unevenly. Does this happen to your other baked goods? Thanks for trying out the recipe!

    ReplyDelete