My first ever galette, and I am sold. I have already made not two but three more galettes since!
No trimming dough into tart pan. No scraps wasted. No blind baking needed. And best part is more flaky/crispy crust from that golden brown overfold! And you would think the bottom part of the crust would be soggy from all the juiciness but nop! All around crisp and no sog! #obsessed
These galettes are definitely deserving of their each individual posts. The steps are simple so I will quickly share the recipe and just bombard y`all with the photos (:
2 cups AP flour
pinch of salt
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup butter, cubed and frozen
5 tbsp water, cold
1. In food processor, pulse together salt and flour until combined.
2. Add in butter and pulse until small beads form.
3. Add in cold water and pulse until dough starts to come together as a ball.
4. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- varied the ratio of the ingredients a bit from my usual recipe and added sugar; this recipe has 1/2 cup more flour and 1 tbsp more water
- amount was way too much for my mini food processor to handle; had to process in 2 batches and combine at the end
- dough was patchy and dry but wrapped and freeze anyways; rolled and turned out fine!
2 cups berries (strawberry, blueberry and blackberry)
1 packet honey
a little more than 2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp chia seeds
juice from half a lemon
zest from half a lemon
- free form filling; looked up a couple recipes and just threw together a not too liquid-y and simple filling; added just enough corn starch and juice to create a thick mucus-y coating
- a bit tart; could use a tbsp or 2 more sugar
Now that you got the dough prepped and the filling ready, time to put everything together!
The fun part..
|mixed berries filling|
|+ chilled dough|
|roll dough out and pile filling in center leaving a 2-3" border|
|fold dough over edge of filling|
|Brush with cream and sprinkle turbinado sugar all over!|
All set. Now just bake at a preheated oven at 400F for 40 minutes.
|fresh out of the oven & added some chopped roasted almonds on top|
look at the color of that crust ^^
|Couldn't resist this golden beauty|
|in day light|
I urge everyone to make some galettes now! They are absolutely tasty and take very little time. Prep the dough within minutes, pile in pretty much anything you like and sprinkle that crust with some turbinado! These look and taste impressive and that is why I have three more galettes to show you in the upcoming post!
Taste: 4.5 stars out of 5
4 for filling cause it was a bit tart and 5 for the crust
Texture: 5 stars out of 5
the perfect crisp from the crust; held up wonderfully