Thursday, January 22, 2015

Coconut Walnut Pie



Good morning, coconut walnut pie!
What I love about baking at night is having a motivation to get out of bed the next day..
Photoshoot + sweets for breakfast.. hehe





Blessed with a gorgeous pie and beautiful morning weather, I bought my pie out to our under-construction backyard for a quick 10 minute photo shoot just before heading to work. The under-construction-ness inspired me greatly and provided me with a lot of fun angles and props to play with. I love how the tiles, bricks and greens complemented my rustic pie.

If I had more time, I would definitely clean up those crumbs in the pie tin, cut up the pie, have more macro/slice shots and shoot with my Micro Four Thirds camera to get more practice out of it. For now, my SonyXperia camera will have to do. The photos turned out decent with some post cropping and filters.



Enjoy the photos!
Now,
the recipe..

The pie crust is from the second half of the dough prepped last time. I simply transferred it from the freezer to the refrigerator the morning of, and it was thawed by the time I get off work. Then, I rolled the dough out onto the pie tin before dinner, let it sit in the freezer for at least an hour, and baked while I prep the filling.

Clockwise step by step process

Delicious coconut walnut filling
Coconut walnut filling
-makes 1 9" pie + 1 mini 2" pie

2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup raw sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
1/8 cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted

1. Melt butter and coconut oil on double boiler
2. Away from boiler, whisk in sugar and salt
3. Whisk in eggs, corn syrup and vanilla extract
4. Back on boiler, whisk until hot (temp to 130F)
5. Remove from boiler, whisk in walnuts and coconut flakes
6. Pour mixture into blind-baked crust
7. Bake at 275F for 55 minutes (mini: 25-30 mins)
8. Cook for at least 2 hours



With some dough scraps, I made a mini pie and also this cutest cookie butter galette! The galette was put into the oven with the pie on its last 10 minute bake and broil for a short 3 minute for the color. This little bite was heavenly. The most indulgent and satisfying bite. What's better than eating cookie butter by the spoonful? A cookie butter buttery crispy galette. Definitely considering making this again for a party or potluck. NOM!

The mini (instagram: @itszwa)
Taste: 4 stars out of 5
Texture: 4 stars out of 5

The mini pie was devoured by me fresh out of the oven when the filling has not yet set. It tasted a bit too sweet at first, but the sugar-less walnuts and crust toned it down with each additional bite. The coconut provided a nice chew to the filling. Wish I had unsweetened version on hand, thennnnn the sweetness and everything would have been on point!




Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment