Friday, May 25, 2012

Green Tea Chocolate Chip Biscotti- No Butter/Oil Needed!

No Butter and OIL?!!? I was doubtful about how these biscotti would turn out. As of now, I have been using my other biscotti recipe which uses olive oil. But wow! These taste just as great! If not.. better!


Compared to my old recipe, this no butter/oil one yields a more crisp and hard bite. But not hard to the point that you are in fear of your tooth chipping when biting into them. I love the crispness. And it tastes fresh and light in a way. Maybe it's the green tea element in them. However, I do think the chocolate chip masked the mild green tea flavor. Next time, I ma need to add more green tea powder for that fragrance/bitterness to come out more.



And one thing I noted about these biscotti is that they are easier and cleaner to cut. The edges would not crumble as much like my other ones! This may be due to the fact that I chopped up my chocolate chips into fine pieces and gave ample time to cool before cutting.



This biscotti recipe will definitely come in handy when you run out of butter/oil in your pantry! But for me, I like to come back to this recipe for that crisp and refreshing bite(:

Green Tea Chocolate Chip Biscotti
recipe adapted and HALVED from cake tree
-makes around 18 cookies

60g sugar
1 egg
115g flour
7.5g matcha (green tea powder)
1/2tsp vanilla extract
1/2tsp baking powder
1/8tsp salt
35g chopped chocolate chips (or any other nuts you prefer)

1. Preheat oven to 350degrees.
2. Beat eggs and sugar on high speed until light and thick, about 8-10minutes.
3. Then add the vanilla.
4. Sift and whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl.
5. On low speed, pour in the ingredients until well combined.
6. Stir in chocolate chips.
7. Roll into a log on your baking tray and bake for 20-25minutes.
8. Remove from oven and cool enough to handle.
9. Lower oven temperature to 325degrees .
10. Cut using a serrated knife diagonally and place them on baking tray.
*I had cut mine straight across..
11. Bake for 10minutes, then flip the downside up, and bake another 10minutes until completely dry.

Tip: cut the biscotti to as equal thinness as you can get for a even baking during the second round

(Note to self: for next time, add more green tea powder and cut them thinner and diagonally)

Taste: 4 stars out of 5 (green tea flavor was too mild)
Texture: 4 stars out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment