Thursday, January 29, 2015

Baked Matcha Donuts

(Instagram @itszwa)

Body pump is no joke. Two days later and my quads are still in non-subsiding pain. I seriously need the handicap parking and a wheelchair. The walk from my car to the office seems like miles now, and another couple miles to my chair. *tears*

Will I be able to get my dying quads back to this gruesome boot camp class? Stay tune. I am putting it on my 2015 resolution to go weekly.. but we all know those are made to be forgotten.

What do sore quads mean for baking? The sorer the quads, the more baking I am doing!



How about some healthy bakes to go along with the #fitlife?

Baked Matcha Donuts
recipe adapted from Honeysuckle
makes 18 mini donuts

donut
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
clockwise
**Oil pan well**
1. Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and matcha powder together in a bowl.
2. In another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (coconut oil, milk, egg, white vinegar, and vanilla).
3. Mix together the wet mixture with the dry mixture and stir until its combined. Be careful not to overmix!
4. Put the batter into a piping bag and squeeze it into a donut pan.
5. Pipe each donut about 3/4 of the way full.
6. Bake at 350ยบ F for 8-10 minutes.
7. Let cool completely on cooling rack.









curdled wet mixture
glaze
2/3 cup of melted coconut oil
1/2 cup of milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp of white vinegar
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract

1. Mix together the powdered sugar, matcha powder and hot water in a bowl.
(Look for a thick consistency. If it’s too thin then simply add a little more powdered sugar.)
2. When the donuts are completely cooled, dip the molded, round bottom side into the glaze, place it on a cooling rack, and let the excess drip onto the baking sheet. 

ready for the oven
The consistency of the batter looked promising despite the curdled wet mixture. However, what I totally did not anticipate was the donuts sticking to the pan. 

do-nut to get out
Everything went smoothly until I needed them off the pan. After struggling for a bit of time, I popped the donuts into the oven for an additional 1-2 minutes to see if crisping them helps. Sadly, nope. I had a second batch made on a well oiled pan with the same outcome. Is it my pan? Is it the recipe? Is it my oven? I was using my small oven to bake these and switched between convection and bake setting. Whyyyy? 

The final product was soft, moist and crumbly making them extra difficult to get out. With some patience, I pried each one out with a toothpick and mini spoon.

casualties
These donuts were so soft and fragile when still warm. I was hoping for a crispy exterior and fluffy interior. 


I skipped the glaze after seeing how disastrous the surface of the donuts looked and decided on a chocolate glaze with toasted coconut. Ta-da, it's like makeup for donuts! 


Taste: 3 stars out of 5
Matcha flavor lost; plain cake with chocolate glaze.
Chocolate glaze and toasted coconut makes up 2.5 stars out of the 3.
Texture: 3 stars out of 5
When fresh/warm, donuts had a fine crumb that almost melts in your mouth.
Overnight, donuts became dense/firm. Preferred a more spongy fluffy texture.

Overall, not the most successful bake but the best recovery! (:


And lastly, I have one HAPPY NEWS to share!
My order for the KitchenAid stand mixer in pistachio has been placed!!!!
Woooohoooooo.
It's been way too long.
Never had a need for it but always been something I wanted since I started baking.
1/28/2015 marks this milestone
Happy baking life!

No comments:

Post a Comment